History Of Campbell & Jones

Campbell & Jones Timber is a family owned company that has been serving the Mid North Coast of NSW (and beyond) since 1948.

Norman Jones spent 60 years in the sawmill industry. The son of a timber man Charles Jones, Norman started work in the State Government Mill at Craven in 1921. In 1948 Norman built his first mill in Wingham with his business partner Charles Lee. 4 years later Norman bought out his partner’s share and when the lease ran out on the Wingham property he bought a mill in Cowper Street Taree (alongside the Lime Quarry).

Next, Norman, along with his son-in-law Raymond Campbell, purchased the sawmill at Langley Vale from Alan Taylor Pty Ltd in 1963. The Langley Vale Mill then operated as Campbell & Jones Pty Ltd until a new mill was constructed in Whitbread Street in 1970. Langley Vale Mill closed and the licence was transferred to the new location in Whitbread Street, Taree.

In 1974, Raymond’s son Greg joined the company and worked alongside his father, mother (Desley), Aunty (Glenys) and 15 long serving employees. In 1979 the old Cowper Street Mill closed down with all operations merging with the Whitbread Street Taree premises. When Raymond retired, Greg was appointed General Manager of Campbell & Jones Pty Ltd.

Today, Campbell & Jones Pty Ltd employes 10 staff, all with extensive knowledge of the timber industry.

In 2014 Greg was appointed to the position of company Director, along with Raymond and Ray’s daughter Narelle. At the same time after 23 years in the business Darren Aitken was promoted to the General Managers position.

Campbell & Jones Timber is a well respected, long standing family business with a wide customer base ranging from the large construction builder, hardware stores, truss plants, joinery shops, builders, owner builders to the hobby groups.